Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fewer Rain Forests


Fewer Rain Forests Mean Less Energy for Developing Nations, Study Finds

By FELICITY BARRINGER

Published: May 13, 2013

This article can relate back to the carbon dioxide article I posted earlier but it is more about developing nations than anything.  Currently brazil is in the process of building what will be the 3rd largest hydropower plant in the world which is estimated to produce 11000 megawatts of power. But it could lose 40% of that due to deforestation. Here’s the reason. The rainforest plays a big role in the nations rainfall because the moisture it gives off contributes a lot of water to the rainclouds, and if you get rid of the trees then the rainfall takes a major blow. And this is a big problem for a country like Brazil which gets 80% of their power from hydropower plants. And as for me personally it doesn’t effect me and probably never will but because taking away the trees also means we lose a big carbon dioxide sucker it will eventually effect me. So I can ignore it for now but in the future I may pay for those actions, well I guess ill cross that bridge when I reach it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/science/earth/study-finds-loss-of-rain-forests-can-deplete-hydropower.html?ref=earth

1 comment:

  1. This world will never learn until we use up all our valuable resources and everything just goes to ruin. We are setting our future generations up for ruin.

    ReplyDelete